Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cosmopolitanism

Anthony Appiah raised several good points in his book "Cosmopolitanism." His overall theme of everyone matters has really managed to open my eyes to assumptions I never knew I made. Several of his examples lead me to many realizations; however, his example of genital cutting was most clear. Despite the fact that this is quite a morbid topic, his message throughout the book was clear in this instant.

I always assumed that there were certain universal truths and morals no person should live without. Killing and inflicting pain on a person would be one of my so-called universal truths. But Appiah recognizes that in the United States, male genital cutting is absolutely acceptable, but female genital cutting is inhumane and torturous -- a bit hypocritical, I think.

Different cultures around the world have their reasons for participating in the rituals, traditions, customs -- whatever you want to call it -- just was we do in our culture. Why should we look down on female genital cutting and encourage male genital cutting?

Appiah isn't suggesting we start participating in female genital cutting, but he is saying we should understand why they do it and they should understand why we do male genital cutting. No one needs to agree with it, just understand.

He says once we understand, global issues won't be such an issue anymore.

I am still not exactly sure what to do once an understanding has been reached but I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

No comments: