Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Gap Between Advertising and Marketing, and PR

Although I have only been an intern at an advertising agency for a few weeks, there are a few things I have noticed that might help the advertising and marketing sides if PR was more involved in the advertising and branding process.

First, I noticed that many of my PR clients did not advertise with my employer. This means their advertising is done elsewhere in the absence of a PR professional. This point brings up my second point...

Some advertising campaigns cause PR problems because a PR practitioner isn't involved in the account planning process or the creative process. This leads into my next point...

Creatives nor account planners can be held completely responsible for causing such problems because they are not trained to think like a PR professional. It is, however, their job to be wise enough and experienced enough to involve a PR practitioner in the advertising and branding process.

If advertising agencies would consult an experienced PR professional in the process, the risk of losing money, time and a good reputation might decrease.

No comments: